Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Jonathan's Ear Surgery

Hi -

Jonathan is having bilateral tubes put in his ears tomorrow at 7:45 am. It is our prayer that the insertion of the tubes will completely resolve the moderate hearing loss he has been suffering from since birth, or soon thereafter. You can experience his present level of hearing by placing your fingers snugly in your ears and then trying to hear what someone is saying across the room - not so good. He can hear at 65 decibels - a very loud conversational level. I am praying that he comes home and is shocked at the noise in this house - by that I mean I am actually hoping he shows me some level of acknowledgement, even irritation, of the everyday rancor of our busy home. He has never woke to his siblings shouting, a dog barking or the phone ringing. I never thought I would want my baby to be so noise-sensitive - heaven knows Luke woke to soft breathing outside his bedroom door - BUT I DO!

He will also have a laryngoscopy at the same time to evaluate the width of his throat near his vocal cords. This is a precaution being taken because he already has "noisy" breathing - presumably from the smaller opening - it will be helpful information as cold season begins because a smaller airway can lead to potential airway problems with the common cold and croup.

Please pray for our little fella and the doctors and staff at Children's Hospital in St. Paul. We report to the hospital at 6:15 am tomorrow, his surgery is at 7:45 am and he will have to stay at least one night for observation. (Please, please pray it is just one night - I am dreading another night in the hospital - I honestly cannot think of anything I would rather do less than spend another 24-plus hours in the hospital...actually, nope, I just thought of something(s)...but I still don't want to do it).

I will try and post tomorrow,

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment