Monday, August 17, 2009

Down Syndrome Research

Hi All -

We returned home from the Wisconsin Dells yesterday - Hallelujah!!! What were we thinking? I know there are people who enjoy the Dells - because there were about ten thousand of them there this past weekend - but, for our family, it was way too crazy. The Candyland hotel is okay - if you are a six year old boy - but there was no relaxation involved if you were a grown-up. Same goes for the rest of the Dells. The kids loved it - Craig and I were exhausted by the whole experience. Next year we are going North, to Mount Rushmore, camping...anywhere without giant upside down White House attractions costing ridiculous amounts of money to view. (Note: We did not pay to see the "Top Secret" upside down White House dropped into the Dells by aliens - seriously it is there - right on the main drag.)

On a more sane note, Jonathan had his first visit to the Down Syndrome Clinic at Children's Hospital today. In many ways, it was an appointment I have been kind-of dreading because I knew there would be information exchanged that might be hard to hear. Nonetheless, I met with his doctor and like everything else that has happened since Jonathan's birth the actual event was not nearly as traumatic as I feared. In fact, I dare say it was encouraging and hopeful in many different ways. Jonathan's medical care is progressing nicely and his motor development milestones (i.e. rolling, grabbing, eye tracking, etc.) were "very good." I wasn't too surprised about his physical capabilities - he is a strong and active little fella - he may be a Special Olympics champion someday. Of course, I wanted more information about what he saw in Jonathan's future - anything - will he be able to read, add, tell time, etc. His doctor patiently explained to me that it would be years before we would know the answers to those questions. I asked him again - probably five different times - in five different ways - my legal education paying off. But his answer was always the same. He is a good doctor and very experienced. I could tell he was unflapped by my impatience and need for certainty - it always gets back to needing a solid plan in my life. He eventually told me that 25% of kids with Down Syndrome never read, 50% read at an elementary school level and 25% at a high school level. I could tell that was the extent of information I was going to get on this subject and I moved on. To the existence of clinical trials and new scientific research in the area of Down Syndrome.

You know, there is a lot to be excited about...and a lot to pray about. He told me that there is hope for a cure for Down Syndrome - maybe in our lifetime. There is presently research that is exploring a treatment that would block the proteins created by the extra 21st chromosome in Down Syndrome babies. The neutralization of these proteins, it is believed, would stifle the damage the proteins inflict on the developing fetus' brain and other bodily organs. Wow. (I hope I explained this correctly.) Anyway, it is amazing.

I thought about this all afternoon and pondered the incredible abilities God has blessed His people with. Deep inside all of us He gives us the capacity to do things that are in many ways beyond our comprehension. From scientists who discover unimaginable medical treatments to everyday people who overcome unthinkable tragedy in their lives. He doesn't leave us when we face a tragedy or difficult circumstances. He is there when we seek Him and then He gives us a way through our trials. He hasn't always taken me on the path I believed would be best, but He has always rescued me and walked through on His sweeter, better path. Praise Him for that!

I am so thankful for all God has given us - for the things we know are there and the things that we have yet to realize. I am thankful for the potential He blessed us with. Now, I am going to pray that we, and I, realize it.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment