Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Circle Maker

Hi -

I'm reading this fabulous book called The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson. In sum, it is a practical and inspiring book about how to draw prayer circles around your family, your dreams, your fears and the promises of God. It is the best book I have read in a long, long time. Maybe because I have a big family, a lot of dreams, some fears and desperate need to see God's promises for me materialize.

This year when people started talking about things they were "giving up" for Lent I realized that is a tradition I haven't followed in recent years. I tried to think of something truly sacrificial I could abstain from and there was really only one worthy contender...coffee. Unfortunately, if I did that I would be risking my kid's lives by driving my minivan in a semiconscious state. So, I decided to draw prayer circles instead.

My kids think my dinner marches around the table are hilarious...but they love being the subject of my prayers. All of my other prayer circles have been done from the driver's seat of my minivan. It is St. Paul. It is March. Since Lent began, I have driven around our new block in St. Paul, my kid's school (several times) and my friend's house. My plan is to circle my husband's office building later this week - seven times - he needs some Jericho walls to tumble. Maybe I'll give Jono a trumpet to blow.

I have abstained from a lot of sugar and Diet Coke during past Lenten seasons and I have never seen results like these circles. I have ben praying that my kid's school will see increased visibility and enrollment for next year. One kindergarten class is full. I prayed that my whole family would not come down with strep throat after Abigail's test came back positive. Historically, my kids share every illness and it lingers around the house for about a month. No strep infestation. I have prayed multiple circles around Jono - most of them about his language acquisition. This has been the most profound and noticeable answer to prayer. I am not keeping a tally sheet (although I think I may start), but he has added about a work a DAY since I first circled him. To put this in perspective for you, Jono only had about 25 words when I circled him - he probably has forty now. And he uses them outside our home. At preschool the teachers gave him an apple slice and he said "apple." He has started asking for help at preschool by using the word "help." He walked over to the refrigerator, yanked the door open and said "I ____ apple juice!" Whew! I gave him the whole jug.

This has been the best Lenten observation (clearly it is not sacrificial or denial) I have ever made. Not only am I keeping the coffee, I am cashing in on slews of God's promises for myself, my children and my friends. Prayer is not a new thing for me and the circle is figurative, but Mr. Batterson suggests a plan to implement your prayer life. For a planner like me, his advice is priceless.

Jill

1 comment:

  1. ok getting it from the library soon! I can't wait to read it!!!
    Angi

    ReplyDelete