Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Story

Jesus tells the man to "[g]o home to your friends and tell them how much the Lord has done for you and how he has had mercy on you." Mark 5:18-20

Happy 2011 -

I am hugely redundant in my prayer requests. For the last year one of my most frequent requests has been: "God, do you really want me to write down all the miraculous, irrefutable, loving things you have done for me and my family?" Of course, the answer to the riddle lies in my question...and in the Bible. Last week when I was reading to my daughter out of her new "specially-designed-for-tween-girls" Christmas Bible (yes, there really are such things and it is fabulous), I opened her Bible to the story that includes the above verse. Well, I took action. I am taking a class specifically about designing and writing memoirs this winter at the Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis. So, if you would pray for me that would be fabulous. The class is at night - Thursday nights - and I hate driving at night, especially in snow and darkness. So, an early Spring would be wonderful.

My project isn't just about Jonathan; although his life is the catalyst for the story. It is more about how God has worked in my life, my kids lives, Craig's life and, of course, Jonathan's life. I have read a lot of blogs, poems, short stories and long books about children with disabilities in the last year-and-a-half and I am certain that is not what God is calling me to write. Jonathan is a sweet, energetic, joyful little boy who has completed our family and filled us with a happiness that is indescribable. But, the joy he brings isn't because he has Down Syndrome; it is because he is...Jonathan. Jonathan is a brown-haired, one-year-old boy who happens to have a diagnosis of Down Syndrome. I want him to grow up in a world where people love him first, and don't get distracted by his disability.

Recently, my aunt forwarded me a poem commonly circulated to families who have a child with Down Syndrome called "Welcome to Holland." I first read this poem the day after Jonathan was born. That day I was annoyed to receive it because I was not convinced Jonathan even had Down Syndrome. The poem is beautiful though and it's author a blessing to thousands of parents who have been comforted by her words. When I read the poem a week ago the first few verses caused me to cry because the author painfully describes the feelings a parent goes thru upon their child's diagnosis...and I believe they are true for most people in this situation. But, that is where my trip and the author's trip part. Now, I have to disclose that Italy is my favorite place in the world...I don't know much about Holland...I'm sure it is lovely as well. But...Italy. The author basically tells parents whose baby has Down Syndrome that they won't be going to fast-paced Italy now...gotta go to Holland. Well...I can already tell that Jonathan wants to go to Italy. God has blessed and gifted and healed him and he will not be happy with a slow trip thru Holland, or any other slow-paced venue.

This leads me to the other part of my book project and my second-most redundant prayer: "God, please open the hearts of your people to see Jonathan as a vibrant young boy of unsurpassable worth. Remind them that You died for him just as you died for Mother Teresa, Billy Graham and them. Lord, start a fire in their hearts that compels them to start seeing everyone in your Kingdom as equals. Lord, let your church take the lead in including people with disabilities in all ministries, including Christian schools. Please God, impress upon your believers to pray for patience, understanding, wisdom and kindness as they meet children who have a disability. God, teach them that maybe it is not the child who has a disability that has the barrier to learning or behavior; but the rest of us with a barrier of compassion. Reveal to us where the real disabling condition lies."

So, my book is also about changing hearts. I want Jonathan to be able to experience everything God has equipped him to enjoy...even Italy. Especially Italy!

Jill

1 comment:

  1. Jill,
    I love this entry and where God has taken you in your journey to write. I often find that my child does not fit into the box that supposed to define her disability.
    Love,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete