Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Christmas Story

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Merry Christmas everyone -

It is the first day of December and our home is filled with excitement. We put up the tree this weekend and now Jonathan spends his days trying to take it down. I am pretty sure the bottom third will be thread-bare by December 25th.

I pulled out our collection of Christmas stories on Sunday and came across my favorite story of all time...well other than the story of Jesus birth. And actually, come to think of it, this really isn't a Christmas story...but is in our Christmas storybook. No matter how hard I bite my cheek and hold my breath, I cry every time I read this story. Abigail, Luke and Marie just laugh - they know it's coming. I have tried to explain to them why...but they don't get it...yet.

It is a beautiful story about God's glorious plan for each of lives. It means more to me now because I am discerning God's plan for my life and could not be more different, more joyful, more satisfying than anything I ever dreamed up on my own. I was home in Davenport, Iowa for Thanksgiving last week and looking back to the beginnings of my life was humbling and filled with me with gratitude to my Lord. I am so thankful for everything God has given me, thankful He never gave up on me, thankful that He has a plan for my life that I didn't need to come up with on my own. Anyway, here is the fabulous story.

The Legend of the Three Trees
Author Unknown

Life burst into the world on the third day of Creation. From under the water, God brought forth the earth. Peeking up through the earth's soil, green plants waved like millions of tiny flags. Grasses, bushes, and trees grew into every size and shape.

The trees towered above all. There were pine trees and poplar, olive and oak, willow and walnut. Each held its own seeds and fruits. Their seeds and fruits scattered as animals carried them from the trees. In a green valley a fox dropped an olive. From that olive, a new olive tree with beautiful wood began to grow.
Along a rocky shoreline, a stork dropped an acorn into a deep crack. From that acorn, a great oak began to grow. High on a mountainside, a clumsy goat knocked a log into a tree. The crash sent pine cones and their seeds spinning to the ground. From one of those seeds, a new pine tree began to grow.

Each of these trees had great dreams of what it would become.

The olive tree hoped that its beautiful wood could become a treasure chest. Decorated with sparkling jewels, it would hold the greatest treasure in the world. The oak hoped to became a mighty ship. Strong and proud it would carry kings and queens across the waters. The tall, majestic pine hoped that its towering branches would remind people of the glory of God's Creation. It dreamed that it would always stay on the mountain and point people to God.

Many years passed. The trees' dreams had not come true. The olive tree had become a simple manger for feeding animals. The mighty oak's wood was made into a little fishing boat. And the great pine fell in a storm and lay in a heap of old lumber.

But God had Hos own plan for each of the trees.

One night, shepherd's keeping watch over their flock saw an angel. The angel told them not to be afraid, for their Savior had been born and was lying in a manger in Bethlehem. The olive tree had not become a treasure chest, but now, as a manger, it held the greatest treasure of all time - Jesus.

The infant Jesus grew into a man and traveled to the very lake that held the oak fishing boat. One day the boat carried Jesus and the fisherman on to the lake. A great storm swept over the lake. "Quiet! Be still," Jesus said. The storm stopped. The boat had never carried a king of this world, but now it carried the King of Kings.

One day soldiers came for the forgotten pine. From that pine's trunk they made a cross and placed Jesus on it. That day, Jesus died on the cross to take away the sins of all who believe in him.

Sometimes the dreams that we have for ourselves are much smaller than the dreams God has for us. The three trees dreams came true, just not in the way they imagined. And so it is with us. For if we follow God's path, we will travel far beyond even our greatest dreams.

Hope you enjoyed the story -
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment