Monday, May 10, 2010

My Treasure

Children are a gift from the Lord; babies are a reward.
Psalm 127:3 (NCV)

I am so lucky to have four presents from the Lord! They are so beautiful and fun and loving...what else could a girl want?

Well, they gave me an extra special Mother's Day present this year. And they are all enjoying it thoroughly. Craig declared this "The Year of Fun" when buying the present. Any ideas? Don't even try...you'll never guess.

Craig loves to surf around on Craig's list. For tools, books, large saws, trailers...all kinds of stuff he "needs." On the flip side, Craig loves to research all life's major purchases(think ovens), and minor purchases(think vacuums),in Consumer Reports. I was never quite sure how these purchasing approaches could be reconciled until he bought my Mother's Day present this year.

Craig found my Mother's Day present on Craig's List this year...nope, not a chainsaw. We drove about 45 minutes north to a small town and there it was. A butter-yellow VW convertible. It was sitting in the driveway of one of those car dealerships you drive buy and think "Who on earth would buy a car there?" We pulled into the "dealership" and all six of us piled out of the minivan. The kids immediately ran to the beetle, opened the doors and hopped in. The apparent owner of the dealership came out and just handed me the keys - he didn't even ask my name. Just told me to take it for a spin. So I did. The three oldest kids screeched and hollered the whole time. When we went back Craig had discussed the previous life the VW. The most-friendly-nonaggressive-carsalesman on the planet told us the VW had sustained smoke damage from a house fire while parked in the attached garage. Hmmm - we didn't smell anything - I guess the roof was down. Oh well. He degreased the outside and it looked good to us. We bought it three hours later with a personal check. No inspections, no Consumer Reports, no months and months of discussions about the purchase.

We have already logged 200+ miles on B.B. (The kids named the car - I thought it stood for Beetle Bug, they said it stands for Beetle Butt...ughhhh...that genre of humor is our unfortunate mainstay right now - maybe we can rename it in a few years...)

Anyway, we are having fun in B.B. during our self-proclaimed Year of Fun.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment